Sunday, April 12, 2009

a love that will never cease, just change with the seasons

There is one thing that I love in this world, a lot more then other things, and that thing or things, is/are GIRL GROUPS.

I cannot get enough of matching outfits (with slight variation), coordinated dance moves, and the obligatory type cast of members. What is more fun for a young girl then to not only listen to catchy music, but be able to pick a favorite member!?..in my humble opinion, nothing.

There have been many many girl groups, but one has always and WILL always be my favorite. I am not "ashamed" or "embarrassed" to like this group, because (this is in all seriousness) their lyrics and songs have a very positive feminist message that has currently been missing from modern girl groups (ehem..pussycat dolls).

TLC!

Example 1: "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg"

Not only do they accessories with condoms, but they make it okay for girls to be horney! If that isn't feminsit, I don't know what is. They also poke fun at penis size, which is necessary.



Example 2: "Creep"

One of my ultimate favorite R&B songs. This video has subconciously crept its way into my dancing style, and made me want silk pajamas.



Example 3: "Waterfalls"

Taught me that white people can get AIDS.



Example 4: "No Scrubs"

I loved this song so much I performed it in my 4th grade talent show. We had matching outfits (with variation of course) and I had a hot pink streak in my hair. Needless to say..we rocked it.

Oh and this song is feminist because it reminds women we NEED STANDARDS! if you ain't got a car..thanks, but no thanks.



Example 5: "Unpretty"

Probably the best example of the positive image that TLC put out for women. Also made me very scared to get implants. ALSO, if you watch carefully, you can pick up some sign language.




P.S. My favorite member was T-Boz, because she was the leader (obvs)

1 comment: